12.19.2017

Kwanzaa: Unity

Hey Subbies,


I wanted to continue from my last post with a theme for each day of Kwanzaa. These words are apart from seven principles of Kwanzaa.Today's word I think is especially important for what is going with people who feel left out during the holiday season or feel hurt. The word for the first day of Kwanzaa is called:

Umoja
(oo-MOH-jah)

Success starts with Unity of Family, community, nation, and race.

This word means: the state of being united or joined as a whole.

In other words, "A time of ingathering of the people to reaffirm the bonds between them."

A symbol to go along with this principle is:

Kikombe cha Umoja (The Unity Cup)

This is symbolic of the foundational principle and practice of unity which makes all else possible.

I think it is giving a gift that can help someone feel whole either it be via mind, body, and soul. I think meditation like yoga would be great gift idea. Another would be giving back to the community or taking it upon yourself to help a family or friend need are what I think what counts. I also think is it important to also ask for help from others so that wheel of unity can keep people in each other in our hearts and minds. Last year my mom's cup broke and it had a very meaningful message on it, so I went out and brought her another cup with a message to somehow make her whole. I hope everyone can gain something from this principle that you can adopt into your life.

~ Heri za Kwanzaa ~

0 comments :

Post a Comment